Luc,
You made me extra proud of you last night.
Before bedtime I was looking through your school folder one last time and noticed the little envelope for money to give at chapel the next day. You were standing there with me and I thought I'd nonchalantly ask you if you wanted to give some coins to the poor for chapel tomorrow. I half expected you to say yes and ask for money from my wallet, but you walked right into the kitchen to get your chore jar. I opened it for you as you opened the envelope, and I handed you the six quarters that were in the jar that you had just earned this weekend (from helping empty the dishwasher, cleaning the toilets with Daddy, and carrying the sofa cushions in and out of my trunk). You proceeded to take each coin, one by one, and put it in the envelope. As you were doing so, I mentioned you didn't have to give all your coins, just wanted you wanted to give. But you said you wanted to give them all.
At bedtime, you told me you wished the envelope were bigger so you could give even more money (when you had it to give).
There's a part of me that's waiting to see how you'll react in a few days or weeks when you look at your chores jar and notice the money gone. I'm wondering how you'll react when you realize you gave all your coins away and they're not there to spend on a new toy. I'm happy to know that the lessons we're teaching you by giving our used clothes, toys, books, etc. to others in need, and you helping Grandma buy cans of food for the poor at Christmas time, have made an impression in your mind and heart.
And even though you wanted to give more money to the poor, I hope you know that in God's eyes you gave them millions of dollars because you gave them all that you had.
I love you,
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment