My baby boy is starting school tomorrow!
Last night we got to meet his teacher and assistants and see his classroom. He was excited to walk around the classroom to see everything that was in there. There are two play kitchens, a play workbench, a reading corner with lots of books that will be rotated throughout the year, table and chairs just his size for activities and a little sink and bathroom his size too. He gets his own cubby with his name and picture on it with a hook to hang up his tote bag and coat.
Luc was very happy to see where he will be going to school. We've talked about it for so long now I think he enjoyed actually being there last night. He was being a little shy with the teacher and another boy who will be in his class, but I know he will open up once he gets to know them and they become familiar.
His teacher, Mrs. McClean, is a very nice woman. You can tell that she was meant to teach children. You can see the twinkle in her eyes when she sees the kids and talks to them. That's very comforting to me. And God Bless her and all teachers of young kids for their patience. I for sure couldn't do it. I used to think giving teachers gifts was so unnecessary and a way to suck up to them. After all, they are getting paid to do their job. Now, and I'm sure more this year, I'm beginning to see they should be recognized for their gift to teach, and subsequently not kill, these wild little creatures.
Luc wanted to know what Aria was going to be doing while he's at school. I told him she'll be with Grandma taking a nap. And when he comes home she wants to know all about what he did that day at school. I'm sure when Aria's awake and Luc isn't there she will be looking for him the whole time.
When we got back in the car to go home, I asked Luc what he thought about his school, the playground, classroom and his teachers and he said, "Awesome. Awesome."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's hard wrapping my head around the fact that he is starting school. There's a part of me that's a little sad because I can no longer deny that Luc is growing up and becoming a little boy. He's no longer a toddler. (I'm no longer shopping in the toddler section for his clothes now either. It's a little strange walking around the Boy department). I see it everyday with new things he's able to do and how he acts and talks, but this I can't ignore. I'm also so excited for him to learn new things and make friends. It's quite a milestone for him. It'll be a totally different routine. But I know he's ready for something different. He's ready to start learning, making friends, and figuring out how to behave in the world with people other than his family. He will be going Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays from 8am to 11am. This is also the first time he'll be going somewhere and staying there without a family member with him. I can see how that's scary for him but right now I don't think he realizes what that entails. I'm hoping his anticipation and excitement to have fun at school will overpower the anxiety and fear of going into the school without Mommy, Daddy, or Grandma staying with him. Of course, once he does it twice, it'll be old news for him.
No comments:
Post a Comment