Sunday, July 14, 2013

Splashing in the Puddles

We keep getting a lot of rain. I don't remember a summer this rainy, ever. Friday afternoon, the storms finally passed. Luc and I decided to go for a walk.
I recognize in myself that I'm constantly telling Luc to "be careful" "watch what you're doing/where you're walking" etc. He's also in the stage of No. "No, Luc." Don't do that." "Not for Luc." Most of what he's told not to do is for his own good, safety, showing respect for things and people, and just self control. In this huge world of Noes, I try to make a conscious effort to make available just as many Yeses. And sometimes that means things get messy. I hate a mess. I hate cleaning up things, especially food. I try to remind myself that sometimes things need to get dirty and messy so that Luc can learn for himself and discover things. This afternoon, I taught Luc how to splash in puddles. I disregarded the facts that his shoes, socks, shorts, and possibly other areas where going to get wet and most likely muddy. I also disregarded that my shoes would get wet and I would have mud splashed on my legs. All in the name of discovery. Luc wanted me to participate, and I allowed myself to let loose and have a little fun. If one foot got wet, the rest of the body might as well get wet and muddy too. Nothing that a towel can't dry and a washing machine can't clean when we get home.
I also had to think back to when my brother and I would walk back from the beach at LBI every summer on the days after a storm. We loved splashing in the puddles on the street to clean off our sandy feet. Heck, the summer I was pregnant and we were at the beach, we did the same thing.


Searching for the biggest puddle

Whoooaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment