Thursday, June 15, 2017

Cali

We lost our Cali on Friday the 9th. ๐ŸŒˆ



 She was my 13-year old Lab. I adopted her, with my parents, after I graduated from college. And though I only spent a year after living in the house (she stayed to live with my parents when I got married), she was still my dog in my heart.

I remembered changing her name to Cali (from Sophie- that's just not a dog name) because the color of her coat reminded me of sunshine and warm days. And California has sun and warm days all year round.

She was the sweetest dog ever. She never once growled or snapped at anyone- even when the kids would pull her tail, pet her the wrong way, climb on her back like a horse, or step on her feet. When they were born, she would come over to them in their car seats in the morning and lick their little faces. When they were older, she let them feed her her medicine and breakfast. Luc was able to start walking her (no longer did she pull on the leash like she did when she was a puppy) too.
She was the kids' first buddy.

But she grew old and was in a lot of pain due to Cushing's disease and arthritis in her back legs. She could no longer get up to drink water and she would collapse when she squatted to pee.

Luc is really sad and misses her, so I printed out this picture and bought a "Best Dog Ever" frame for him. He placed it on his dresser where he can see it first thing every morning.

Aria didn't really say anything the first week Cali was gone. But the next weekend we were over for Father's Day dinner and when we sat at the dining room table for dinner, Aria asked where Cali was. Cali used to come and lay under the table while we ate. I told her Cali went to live with Jesus. Aria answered back by saying, "She hiding. I got get her. Bring her back."
I wish, Aria. I really wish you could.







No comments:

Post a Comment