Mother's Day.
We had a busy Mother's Day weekend. Saturday, Frederic's parents came over in the afternoon. We made my mother-in-law one of her favorite meals: Mussels (with garlic, white wine, carrots and celery) and Frederic made homemade fries. We picked up a little cake from Wegmans, which I love because it's just enough for four people to have a good-sized slice, and no leftovers lurking in the house!
Sunday, the kids actually slept "in". Hahaha! Luc was up at 6:45am and Aria a few minutes later. Frederic brought the kids in bed and went downstairs to make me a cup of coffee. Frederic had made me a nail appointment at 11am to get a manicure and pedicure. So while I was out doing that, he took the kids for a bike ride.After lunch, we headed to my parent's house. Uncle Bill and my brother came over as well. We got carry out from Carrabba's (because having these two kids in a restaurant is just not how I want to spend any evening, not to mention Mother's day), and ice cream cake for dessert (requested by my mom).
Luc made me something at school which he couldn't wait to give it to me, so I opened it Thursday. The teacher helped the kids put paint on their fingers and then press them onto a special paper. That paper was then transferred onto a white candle. It's very colorful and cute. And I even got a little candle holder. So of course, it found it's place of honor on the DVD shelf next to the TV.

I also got a kettlebell and a workout book with a 12-week program and instructions on using the kettlebell. I'm really excited to add this to my fitness routine. I love doing the free weights program I started 2 months ago, but sometimes I want to add something else to the mix. And since I can't do a lot of weighted leg exercises since I'm not at a gym, the kettlebell will help supplement some of that as well.
So in all- Awesome Mother's Day!
I like to use Mother's Day as an excuse to check in on myself and only be positive about being a mother, and my kids. Everyday life often points out the negative. Being tired from daily routines often puts me into a tired slump. And though everyone uses Mother's day to focus on the best parts of being a mother, without showing off, I'd like to do it as well.
Luc: He is so smart, and funny. He's inventive and curious. He is cautious by nature (overall), observes, is reserved yet becomes friends with everyone because he is calm and friendly with everyone.
Aria: She is wild and free-spirited. She also has the most loving heart and cares about everyone- whether Mommy accidentally stubs her toe (she asks if I'm okay and then kisses it), or she hears a baby crying at the store and wants to know if it's okay. She loves to act goofy. She speaks way beyond her (2) years! She's totally outgoing and has no problems walking up to anyone, child or adult, and talk or play with them.
These kids are so precious. And though they know how to work together to drive me crazy, they are my little pumpkins. And I think they're just wonderful the way they are. I share some qualities with them, which I enjoy bonding over. Yet, the qualities they have that I do not possess invite me to open my mind, accept differences, and learn from them. We spend a lot of time teaching our children since birth, but more often I think they teach us many lessons. We just have to look for them and be open to their teachings.
I know how blessed I am to have healthy and happy children. I never take that for granted for even one day. I consider myself very lucky to be their Mom.
...and I'm still hoping I don't screw them up as I continue to learn to navigate this hood called Mother.

No comments:
Post a Comment