I've really grown to love Belgium. This was my third trip there and each time it grows on me more and more.
I'm extremely lucky, and grateful, for Frederic's family and friends who live in Belgium. They are all wonderful, caring people. They are always welcoming to me and take me in as their own. I feel like I've known Frederic's friends as long as he has. Frederic jokes that he feels his family likes me more than him! Everyone always makes me feel comfortable and part of the family. Sometimes there's a language barrier, but you can still feel the atmosphere of acceptance and love.
Years ago there was a very real chance of us moving to permanently live in Belgium. Before I had ever visited the country, I was scared and depressed. -I would still be depressed to move but mostly because of leaving my family behind. I start to miss US amenities (standing showers!) and products by the end of the 2nd week in Belgium, but while I'm there I can honestly see myself adjusting and being happy to live there, if we had to. That being said, I would be happy not living in Brussels though (or Flanders. I do not understand anything in Flemish!). Besides the crazy current terror threats, it's too busy and dirty and hectic. And I used to be the one who wanted to live in NYC. But now when we go outside the city, driving on the country roads, I love the calm and peaceful places. The scenery is beautiful. I never really noticed during the previous trips, but there are tons of cows in Belgium! And with all the old history in Europe, you feel connected to a past.
And the food! Heck, let's move there just for that! Who wouldn't love living where you can get some of the best chocolate in the world at your local supermarket? The café in the morning- yummm. Cheese, fresh bread and meats for lunch. Overall the food is a little richer, but it stays with you longer, and in consequence, I think I'm the only person who goes to Belgium for 2 weeks, eats whatever I want (even soda with meals-which I never do at home- because I think the tap water tastes funny there) and looses a few pounds. Although I do ration my chocolate there because I want to bring it home.
I really wouldn't mind moving there and wouldn't worry about the kids either. With the 10 days we were there, Aria started saying words in french, like "chat" (while chasing Jean-Luc's cat around the property). Though Luc pretends he doesn't understand french and cannot speak it, we returned home and he unconsciously proved otherwise. On the car ride from the airport we put on the french kid songs and he was singing along, in french. And still a week home, instead of saying "Come, Aria!" he automatically yells, "Viens!" Then he catches himself, puts his hand over his mouth, and says- "it just slips out!"
Knowing people in Belgium, staying in the city and country numerous times, and seeing the way of life there, I could get used to it if the day ever came. I'm always the one crying when we leave the people and places we visit. I'm blubbering au revior and sneaking into the car to wipe my tears away. I always get caught though, and make other people cry too. There are times when I feel I have a closer relationship and life understanding with our Belgians then I do with my own friends and, some, family here in the US.
No comments:
Post a Comment