Monday, December 17, 2012

It's Beginning to Look A Lot like Christmas

Now that Luc is a year old, I'm not going to religiously update every month about his goings-ons. I will do it sporadically from now on. Just like when a baby turns a few months old, you stop counting in weeks, I think at 1 year you should stop counting in months.

Tooth #7 FINALLY came in! Luc's been cutting this tooth since October. And we've all had enough of this never-ending teething ( I think even Luc would agree with that). After lots of chewing and biting and night-wakings, it's finally poked it's way through. Whew! One more to go with this set. Then can we have a break???

Luc can now stand up by himself without using anything for support. This is a relief for Frederic and I since now we can take Luc outside to play and not have to stand next to him every time he falls on his butt.

In the last few weeks, Luc has ignored the steps to go upstairs. I haven't blocked them off with the footstools. The only time he will go to the steps at our house and at Grandma's is when he needs his diaper changed- especially if it's a poopy diaper. If you ask Luc if he needs a new diaper, or if he's stinky (and he really is),he'll shake his head yes and start heading to the stairs to get a new diaper.
Luc also will head toward the steps and start going up when you tell him it's time for bed. We still need to work on how to get down the stairs safely. I'm thinking he will catch onto that soon since we've been showing him how to go feet first on his belly off the couch or bed. He's starting to do that now on his own to get off instead of thinking he can just walk right off and not get hurt. Silly boy.

A few days before Luc turned one, I decided to start mixing less formula and add coconut milk to his bottle. I wanted to get Luc on coconut milk entirely believing it's more beneficial and healthier than cow's milk. Well once again Luc showed me he had his own idea. Ever since I started mixing, Luc was eating less and less of his bottle. I was giving it some time thinking he was getting used to the taste. Since Luc didn't like it and was eating less, that meant he was up at 4am screaming because he was starving. I would give him a bottle and he would fall back asleep. After a few weeks of this, I realized I didn't want to get into the routine of having a newborn again with middle of the night feedings, and that coconut milk just wasn't working. Luc doesn't have any fat storage to burn off when he doesn't have a full tummy, and he doesn't have any weight to loose.
After I realized Luc was telling me that coconut milk just wasn't cool, I decided it was time to try regular formula and cow's milk. The first night and morning Luc ate almost the entire bottle, like old times. What a relief. What a pain too! I wasted those nights and days fighting with Luc to eat more and waking up all hours of the morning to fill him back up. Sometimes I could really kick myself that it takes so long for me to realize what isn't working and how to fix it. It's recommended kids at 1 year til they're 2 drink cow's whole milk. Since Luc isn't obese, I shouldn't be put off by the fats in it. So far he hasn't been having any problems with the lactose in it either, which he did when he was a baby. And buying organic makes me feel better against all the hormones and antibiotics and pus, etc that get into regular milk that then could get into my babe aren't there. Thought: If doctor's don't want you to breastfeed your own baby when you're on antibiotics or hormones, why is it okay for them to drink cow's milk with all that stuff in it?
We will see how this experiment goes...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To get more into the Christmas spirit (in case not that listening to Christmas music every time Luc is with us isn't festive enough- in fact I'm already tired of the music weeks before the actual day!) Frederic and I took Luc to Homstead Gardens in Davidsonville. They decorate a ton of trees, have carolers, a train garden, and of course- Santa!
Background info on why we thought Luc would love this even at 1 year old. One evening before this day, Luc was getting a little cranky. Since it gets pitched dark by 5pm now, I don't take Luc on a walk anymore after work. He and I both miss that. I knew going outside would help Luc, so I bundled us up and decided to walk with him around the block to look at Christmas lights on people's houses. Luc loved it! The moving reindeer is still his favorite, and he'll actually wave hello and goodbye to it as we pass. He sees it from the other side of the street and we have to cross back over to see it once more before going inside. Luc is in love with Christmas lights! We knew he would love Homestead Gardens.
Luc, looking at a decorated Christmas tree is saying, "AaAAaayy!!!"



Watching the trains go by



















The magic of Christmas glowing in his eyes


























winter wonderland

No way did Luc want to sit on Santa's lap. 






















There is a street near Bonne Maman and Bon Papa that goes all out with Christmas lights on the houses. One house plays music, has trains, and even elves that move. We decided to take Luc on a walk to see all the lights around the neighborhood. When we came up to the main attraction, Luc's reaction was: "whoooooaaaa!"

The ride there, Luc got excited and would screech with each new lighted house. In between houses, you could hear him saying, "Ho ho hoooo."

No comments:

Post a Comment